HOW TO KEEP YOUR PROPOSAL A SURPRISE
If you’re planning on making the proposal a surprise, you want to make sure you have the correct ring size, and more importantly that she’ll love the diamond ring! To pick out a ring she is sure to fall for, take her taste and her lifestyle into consideration. Here are a few tips on getting the information you need without her suspecting a thing.
WHAT IS HER FINGER SIZE?
If she has a few diamond rings in her jewellery collection, sneak one away and take it to a local jewellery to have it sized. If borrowing a ring for so long is not possible, put the ring on your finger as far down as you can comfortably and mark your finger with a pen. A jeweller can then measure the mark to determine the correct ring size. alternatively, use our application Ring Sizing Chart.
WHAT METAL WOULD SHE LIKE?
To figure what metal is best for your partner, notice the jewellery she currently wears. This will help you decide if she’d be more interested in yellow gold, white gold, or platinum. If it’s a toss up, GC Manufacturing Jewellery offers a selection of two-tone settings that might help make up your mind.
WHAT IS HER STYLE?
Take her lifestyle into consideration when choosing an a engagement ring. If she is active and always on the go, you might want to consider a solitaire setting such as the cathedral or contour setting, or select from one of our channel setting styles. Once you determine her ring size, metal, and style, choosing one of our engagement settings should be a cinch. Properly evaluating this information should help you make a decision your future fiancée will be thrilled with, but don’t forget — your opinion counts as well! Now that you have learned how to choose a setting, read on to learn how to pick the perfect diamond for your setting.
When planning to propose, most guys will either go for the obvious (a candlelit dinner that ends with him on one knee) or rack their brains (and empty their wallets) trying to come up with something amazing that’s never been done before. The truth is, you don’t have to opt for either of these extremes. If you know the woman you love, you can easily come up with a proposal plan that will wow her without resorting to over-the-top antics (or phoning it in with a checkered tablecloth and a ridiculously long spaghetti noodle). Here are just a few ways to prepare for a flawless proposal.
1. CONSIDER HER PREFERENCES.
Does she live life like she’s on a stage? Then maybe a proposal in front of her family or at a sporting event is the way to go. But if she’s like most women, she’ll want the occasion to be intimate, so think about creative ways to get her alone.
2. LISTEN TO WHAT SHE SAYS.
Women will often tell you exactly what they expect if you just open your ears and pay attention. Did she fall in love with the bedroom proposal from the movie Stepmom (the ring on a string)? Or has she told you that she always pictured herself receiving a ring at the top of the Eiffel Tower? Your lady will likely drop hints here and there, so make sure you’re listening when she does.
3. ASK FOR HELP.
You might be surprised by all of the creative ideas your friends and family come up with on your behalf. And if all else fails, go to the internet. There is an absolute wealth of information on interesting ways to propose. You’re guaranteed to find at least one that is perfect.
4. GO ALL OUT.
You don’t need to break the bank when you propose (since you’ll probably need that money for the ring or the wedding), but you should do everything you can to make it a special event since you only plan to do it once. This doesn’t necessarily entail added expense, but it will require you to use your imagination and come up with a plan that is as unique and memorable as the woman you’re proposing to.
5. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.
If you think there’s a good chance you’ll falter once you get to the starting line, practice what you’re going to say. You shouldn’t memorize it word-for-word (you don’t necessarily want it to sound rehearsed), but get down the basic gist of what you want to say before you take a knee.
Everyone has their own ideas about the proper way to propose. Most men want the event to be special so that she’ll never forget it (and to improve her chances of saying yes). But that doesn’t always mean things go off without a hitch. In some cases, less is more, and by going completely overboard, all you’re telling the woman of your dreams is that you have no clear idea of the meaning of excess. On the other hand, sometimes just being a guy can work against you. But don’t worry; if you’re not sure if your plan might backfire, here are just a few things you’ll want to avoid when you drop to one knee.
1. PUTTING THE RING IN THE FOOD.
Sure, you’ve seen it in the movies, but try to remember that what happens on the silver screen should stay on the silver screen. That world is a fantasy. In reality, what happens when you put a ring in her food or drink is that she’ll probably choke on it or swallow it. And a trip to the emergency room is not romantic. At the very least, it will have to be cleaned before she can put it on. Ring tartar? Gross.
2. PROPOSING WITH A RING POP UP.
Sorry, guys, this isn’t as cute as you think it is. If you don’t have the money to buy a real ring, you’re going to have to come up with something a little more creative than one made of sugar. Consider famous literary proposals, such as Edmond’s in The Count of Montecristo, in which the poor sailor winds a piece of string around the finger of his beloved Mercedes to signify the real ring he will put there one day when he became a wealthy man. The thought counts more if you actually put some thought into it.
3. JUMPING OUT OF AN AIRPLANE.
Think long and hard before you hand her the ring midair; there are SO many things that could go wrong. For example, consider the likelihood of dropping the ring (high risk). Or imagine how the proposal might go. You: Will you marry me? Her: What? You: Will you marry me? (wind howling loudly) Her: What?!
4. PROPOSING IN FRONT OF A CROWD (ESPECIALLY HER FAMILY).
It might seem romantic to involve others, but this moment is really about the two of you. And do you really want her to 1) bow to peer pressure when she says yes, only to recant later, or 2) listen to the advice of her mother, who hates you? Let her decide on her own, in private, with no one listening but you.
5. CHECKING OUT OTHER WOMEN.
This is a bad idea at the best of times, but if you’re looking at other women during the proposal (even if you’re just trying to gauge the approval rating in the room) you might wind up with champagne in your face. Now that you’ve read over some of our best do’s and don’ts where popping the question is concerned, you’re ready to begin shopping for the perfect diamond engagement ring.
CREATIVE WORDS TO USE IN MARRIAGE PROPOSAL.
If you care enough about someone to propose marriage, you should choose your words carefully to make them as meaningful as possible to your partner.
Don’t just ask, “Will you marry me?” Find a more creative way to express your feelings and intentions before you utter those four very important words.
Your intended is going to remember what you said when you proposed for the rest of your lives together, so make those words count.
Here are some more creative ways to ask the love of your life to marry you.
You can use one of them to help you get started, but be sure to add your own words to make your proposal more personal to you both.
- I can’t imagine growing old with anyone else, nor do I want to.
- I know you’re the only one I want to share the rest of my life with.
- The story of our love is only beginning. Let’s write our own happy ending.
- There are many ways to be happy in this life, but all I really need is you.
- When I look into your eyes, I can see a reflection of the two of us and the life I hope we’ll share together.
- I know my life will never be complete without you beside me to share it.
- When I look into my heart, I see only you. If you can look into your heart and only see me, then we should spend the rest of our lives together.
- I promise you, no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me.
- When I think about you, I know that no one else will ever hold my heart the way you do.
- When I think of the future, I like to picture us as two trees planted side-by-side, our roots growing together more firmly as the years go by, and our children sprouting like seedlings around us.
- Life offers many challenges. I know I can meet them if you’re willing to face them with me.
- When I met you, I knew I’d met my match. It was only a matter of time until we arrived at this moment. How it turns out is all in your hands.
- You deserve the very best, someone who will back you up without limits, let you grow without borders, and love you without end. Will you let me be the one?
SHORT MARRIAGE PROPOSAL WORDING
Your short proposal speech can include a short, final line that delivers the big question.
This line can later be added to your wedding program or other keepsake items since it doesn’t have a high word count.
- Let’s dance together at our wedding.
- Let’s put our hearts into each other’s hands for life.
- I do, do you?
- Pick me?
- Wear the diamond ring for “yes,” close the box for “no.”
- I give you all of me forever, can I have all of you?
- Me and you, together forever?
- Me plus you equal married?
- I’d give up anything to hear a “yes” from you now.
- Our past was memorable, can our future be infinite?
- You are my definition of husband/wife.